quilters across the globe sharing their talents and forging new friendships

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Picket fence ideas

Hello, all!  I hope everyone is having fun with this!  I've gotten all of my blocks(almost--but I know where she lives!)  and have been thinking about the layout.  Here are some ideas and I would LOVE some feedback!


So, this one wouldn't use any sashing.  I would do a picket fence border on one side and a regular border around the other three sides.  I think I like this one the best, but I want this to be big enough for a bed quilt, so it would probably need another border on the outside of this one, too.



Now this one is sashed and the picket fences are the sashing.  It think it might be a little too cutesy for me, but it still might work.  This one would need a border or two around it as well.  Or I could make 8 more blocks which defeats the purpose of this entire exercise!



So here's what I'm thinking for the back.  Victoria made me 2 blocks, so I have an extra to use on the back.  I thought I'd use it to build another house.  With a picket fence of course.  Any thoughts? 

Would you use white(which is bound to get really dirty between the dogs that sneak on the beds and the kid that has dirt coming out of his pores!) or a white 30s repro print?  I had planned on only using the prints and could probably find one that had a simple enough design that the fence would still shine through, but now I'm wondering.

And I saw this quilting yesterday which I though might be pretty fun for this project!

Any hoo--yesterday when I was "working,"  I wanted some graph paper to play with this and had none, so I went on-line to find some.  I found an awesome site that has squares, hexagons, rectangles, triangles, and circles.  I started planning many many quilts!  You should check it out--it'll give you lots of ideas!

Thanks for any feedback you've got!

10 comments:

  1. Oh I love the first one, the picket fence on one side.

    My mind immediately conjured up busy green fabric for the other 3 sides as a "hedge" and you mentioned another border to make it bigger, hows about a lighter green for borders of grass all the way around.

    Just a thought!

    Vivian

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the second one, is nice and graphic to go with the blocks. Simple.
    It's your quilt. You'll have the ultimate heavy choice to make! ;-) have fun playing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Tara, If you need more blocks but don't want to make them houses, make them trees or something else. The most fun part of this is figuring out how to make this quilt "you". Have fun and stretch yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tara I really like your top idea too. I also like idea of doing tree blocks if you need a bigger quilt...they wouldn't even need to be 16x16, they could vary in size...as long as you got it to all even out at the end of course! or maybe even just filler blocks ... those cute 30s prints make that a very easy option too I think...maybe fabric with houses on it? you get the idea.
    I wish I owned a copy of Freddy Moran's book on houses, she does the gate/picket fence thing really well. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1571200746/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=1402730438&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0SJFQBESJ9RXVJXQQD76 this is the link at amazon for this book. maybe a your library carries it? ours does. Good Luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. IT's not that I don't want to make 8 more blocks, it's that I want this to be the 12 blocks that were made by the bee. I'm going to play with both a little bit more to see if I can make the fence as sashing look more like a fence. Thanks for the feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tara, I like the top idea the best. You could add more than one border to get the size quilt you desire. I like the idea of adding tree blocks, but if you didn't want to do that, how about adding 16" blocks of the blue fabric in between the houses?

    If you need a picket fence pattern, there is one at the quilters cache.

    http://quilterscache.com/P/PicketFenceBlock.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I moved ;-) just kidding. mailing my house has crossed my mind, I should have done it a couple of weeks ago...
    anytime you are ready for it, give me a call Tara: 493-1130
    I like the picket fence idea, eventhough I am not a fan of fences in life in general ;-)
    I love trees better and jumping rabbits. Otherwise I also like the second one eventhough I love the assymetry of the first one... sorry I am not helping at all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like all the ideas suggested, and I want to add one for the back-why white? why not think aout green-to be more grass, or blue, for more sky? I think you'll come up with something fantastic, maybe not think about it for a day or so and then you'll have an "ah-ha!" moment.

    Still working on my October squares-this has definitely been a challenge for me, but I'm not crazy yet. maybe by tomorrow....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think doing the one house on the background will be great. I love backing art or whatever you call it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks you all! San-Dee, I was only thinking white in terms of "white picket fence." As far as more blue and greens, I'd have to buy more fabric for one, and the levels of the grass vary from block to block--which I wanted! so I could lay them out and do an angled piece between the blocks to join the grass and sky.

    So-- In my head this is "our" quilt and I just wanted some feed back form you guys. I really appreciate all your thoughts and help! And now I wonder why I want a bed sized quilt anyway since I am in the process of storing the bed in my spare room to turn it into a sewing room. There won't even be a bed in there! But there will be a design wall!! Yeah!

    ReplyDelete