quilters across the globe sharing their talents and forging new friendships

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Italian tile for October






Hello Ladies, October is my month and I have chosen Italian tile blocks. I'm doing my blocks a little different than Tara. I want a very scrappy quilt so I will NOT be sending y'all fabric. Instead, I want y'all to use fabric from your stash. First thing is you will need an 8 inch square of a red fabric, 8 in square of blue and an 8 in square of yellow. (The fabric can have other colors in it but NO white, please.)
1. Stack your blocks one on top of the other and draw a line (with a pencil on the back of one block) form corner to corner so you have a big X on the back of your block.
2. Measure 7/8" from each side of this drawn line and cut. (You should have 4 cuts.)
3. Shuffle the blocks and put them back together anyway you like.
4. There is alot of bias in these blocks so treat them with a little TLC. You can also use spray starch on the fabric before you cut.
5. Finger press the outside units (triangle units) to the triangles and the middle unit to the middle square. 6. Blocks should measure 6 1/2 in (unfinished)once they are trimmed.
If you have any questions just email me.

* Helpful tips. Use a sharp or brand new needle. And when piecing the units with the triangles, sew with the triangles on the bottom.

7 comments:

  1. This is a new way for me to work and I am excied to give it a try!
    You know me and rulers... This will be a lovely project! Can't wait to raid my bins to see what I can use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, do I understand this, do we actually send 3 blocks off to you or just one??
    Thanks, Lizzie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks fun! I already know which fabrics I'm going to use!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, isn't this a great challenge! I'd say "I'm so confused" already, but I'm tired from work and probably just need to look at the instructions when I'm a little more awake.

    N'yah, n'yah, n'yah, n'yah, n'yah-Tara- I know two of the three fabrics I'll be using!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let me get this straight...3 8" squares, check. Draw X thru on one stacked square, check. Now, this is where I am losing me. Would you mind, please, posting another pic or two? I blew the cut pic up and can see the pencil lines and even get the 7/8" away part. Now, this is where I lose me...are the 4 cuts ALL the way thru the block or are they cut at a triangle? I am sorry, I just can't get this one...blame it on my trying to rush thru the instructions, lol. Thanks, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops, sorry, I just went back and re-looked at the 3 squares put together (and not yet sewn) and see that, why yes, you do make the cuts all the way thru! My bad, thanks, Elaine

    ReplyDelete