Thursday, October 1, 2009
Italian tile for October
Hello Ladies, October is my month and I have chosen Italian tile blocks. I'm doing my blocks a little different than Tara. I want a very scrappy quilt so I will NOT be sending y'all fabric. Instead, I want y'all to use fabric from your stash. First thing is you will need an 8 inch square of a red fabric, 8 in square of blue and an 8 in square of yellow. (The fabric can have other colors in it but NO white, please.)
1. Stack your blocks one on top of the other and draw a line (with a pencil on the back of one block) form corner to corner so you have a big X on the back of your block.
2. Measure 7/8" from each side of this drawn line and cut. (You should have 4 cuts.)
3. Shuffle the blocks and put them back together anyway you like.
4. There is alot of bias in these blocks so treat them with a little TLC. You can also use spray starch on the fabric before you cut.
5. Finger press the outside units (triangle units) to the triangles and the middle unit to the middle square. 6. Blocks should measure 6 1/2 in (unfinished)once they are trimmed.
If you have any questions just email me.
* Helpful tips. Use a sharp or brand new needle. And when piecing the units with the triangles, sew with the triangles on the bottom.